Back pain is obviously among the most common conditions that people associate with chiropractors. Back pain is a complex issue. For some it can come in acutely painful episodes of back spasms, for others it is an ongoing daily ache in the back or something that simply comes and goes. Back pain can be triggered by injuries but also by stress and lifestyle changes.
Although back pain is complex the good news is that for the majority of sufferers finding relief can be surprisingly simple once they receive the right treatment and advice.
Major themes that can lead to back pain include:
- wasting of muscles deep in the core (deeper than where most gym programmes target) this is the mother of all causes and accounts for the majority of cases.
- old injuries that were never properly treated by a chiropractor or osteopath and never resolved properly.
- an old injury to the spine that did heal but left some tight scar tissue can cause back pain (and neck pain).
- damage to supporting muscles caused by pregnancy and child birth leaving the back with improper support.
- excessive sitting at a desk for more than 30 hours a week can lead to back pain through weakening of postural muscles and compression of the spinal bones.
- poor technique in sports and exercise activities can put unnatural strain on the spinal bones and cause back pain (and other pains too).
- awkward lifestyle requirements. A great example would be the classic ‘supporting child on your hip while doing things around house’ on a daily basis.
- diseases and arthritic changes in the spine can be the cause of back pain in some rare cases.
Whatever your pattern of your pain is rest assure that regardless of the specifics chiropractors can usually establish the underlying cause – and help provide pain relief within a mater of days or weeks.
Chiropractors, osteopaths and physiotherapists always aim to find the exact body tissues that have become painful in sufferers back pain patients.
These possibilities include …
- The spinal bones can lock and become inflamed causing pain in the back and also down the sciatica type pain down the leg to the knee. Chiropractors can treat this in their sleep.
- The back muscles and hip muscles can develop deep pressure points or be subject to minor tears that cause back pain treatable by chiropractors, deep massage and acupuncture ( we frequently combine all 3 at our clinic).
- The vertebral disc If damaged can compress the nerves in the spine and cause major pain and suffering. Chiropractors are experts at diagnosing these problems.
- The nerve plexus in the back or hip can cause severe back pain and sciatic pain if it is inflamed or compressed. You really don’t want this to happen to you and the good news is it probably never will.
Fell free to give us a call if you would like to discuss whether our combination of treatments and traditional chiropractors techniques are likely to be a good fit for you.