Modern life causes various forms of physical stress that can harm our feet and ankles. Ankle pain is a consequence of stress that may result from multiple factors, including overuse, injury, and faulty movement patterns. To alleviate ankle pain, it’s important to take a holistic approach that addresses both the symptoms and underlying causes of the problem.
How We Approach Ankle Pain As Chiropractors
Our ankle pain patients typically fall into 3 main groups. People who already understand the value of a highly experienced chiropractor. People who are chiro-curious and want to find out what chiropractic can do for them. And people seeking a chiropractor who is willing to combine chiropractic with other methods to increase the likelihood of treatment success.
Ankle pain is a typical consequence of stress that may result from multiple factors, including overuse, injury, and emotional tension. It can affect your quality of life and even your ability to work or participate in daily activities. However, the good news is that ankle pain is treatable, and finding the right treatment can provide relief.
When treating ankle pain with chiropractic we place great emphasis on the following;
- Correct and careful diagnosis
- Identifying the underlying causes of pain
We have over 200 five star Google reviews!!!
What Chiropractors Do For Ankle Pain
Chiropractic care is a well-established way to manage ankle pain. Chiropractors specialise in diagnosing and treating conditions related to the musculoskeletal system, including the ankle. Here are some of the reasons behind why chiropractic care can help so much with ankle pain:
- Influencing healing: Chiropractic care can positively influence healing by improving circulation and stimulating the body’s natural healing processes. When it comes to healing pain movement tends to be the best medicine. Chiropractors are in the business of restoring movement.
- Treating acute & chronic pain: Joints can get stuck indefinitely. Chiropractic care can treat both long-standing ankle pain and pain that has occurred more recently. Joints that have been stuck for a week often respond the same but quicker to joints that have been stuck for years.
- Stretching the body’s tissues: Chiropractic care works in a similar way to stretching, as it mobilises the body’s tissues to improve mobility and function. When we stretch a muscle repeatedly it improves the muscles mobility and function. Chiropractic does this for joints
- Managing pain: Chiropractic care can help manage pain by reducing inflammation, increasing mobility, improving blood flow, and releasing endorphins (natural painkillers) in the body. Pain is the body’s way of telling us the tissues are under stress or under threat. Chiropractors seek to manage pain by removing the underlying causes of pain.
- A safe alternative to drugs and surgery: Chiropractic care is a non-invasive and safe alternative to drugs and surgery, which can be appealing for those seeking natural treatments for their ankle pain. Drugs and surgery are very important for certain conditions, and for many others there are safer alternatives
What Chiropractors Don’t Do For Ankle Pain
There are 2 major myths about chiropractic that persist to this very day. The first is that it is dangerous and the second is that chiropractors put bones back in place. Both of these are essentially urban myths.
The dangers of getting your ankle adjusted by a chiropractor are far less than taking over the counter medications. This has been shown in large scale chiropractic safety research in Europe. Caution and care are essential to all healthcare procedures, yet chiropractic care has an enviable safety record compared to almost any other type of medical healthcare.
Chiropractors do not put bones back in place. We restore movement to vertebrae that have become struck due to injury or repetitive strain. If a bone in your spine was out of place you would be in a hospital unable to move some major body part. Chiropractors restore movement to the body rather than re-aligning it.
Chiropractors Treatment Principles
If you are experiencing ankle pain, it’s important to seek professional help, potentially from a chiropractor. They can assess your condition and develop a personalised treatment plan to help manage your pain. Here are some of the things a chiropractor might do to treat your ankle pain:
- Find the exact body tissues causing the pain: Chiropractors use various diagnostic tools and techniques to find the exact body tissues causing the pain. Treating the specific painful tissue is the key to good pain management.
- Try to identify the reason why the painful tissues have become painful in the first place. Many subtle lifestyle factors can cause pain and a good chiropractor should have knowledge of them.
- Manage soft tissue pain: Chiropractors can help manage soft tissue pain that is contributing to pain in the ankle by working on them manually. Having soft tissue problems isn’t always a life sentence for ankle pain.
Self Care For Chiropractic Patients
In addition to chiropractic care, there are also some things you can do at home to manage your ankle pain:
- Practise good posture: Maintaining good posture can help prevent ankle pain. Good posture includes the knee’s hips and ankles so it pays to be aware of the way you stand and walk if you have ankle pain.
- Take breaks from sitting: If you sit for long periods, take regular breaks to stretch and move around. This promotes fluid secretion in the ankle and stops it from becoming excessively stiff
- Limit awkward lifestyle requirements: Avoid wearing fashion shoes at inappropriate times. Use supportive footwear wherever possible. And consider resting from high impact activities whilst getting treatment.
- Use proper technique: Using proper technique can help prevent ankle pain caused by sports and exercise. Compression and twisting of the ankle during heavy lifting is especially common.
- Manage stress: Stress has a major part to play in many ankle pain cases. So it is always worth being proactive about stress if you have ankle pain. It is surprising how much stress can impact foot and ankle pain.
Combining Chiropractic Adjustments With Other Treatments
We specialise in combining typical chiropractors adjustments with other proven pain therapies. To create quicker and more lasting effects.
In the old days dentists just extracted teeth and chiropractors just ‘clicked the spine’. But time has moved on and these days ‘up to date’ chiropractors tend to combine chiropractic with other treatments.
Treatment combinations that can be used by chiropractors to manage ankle pain include the following.
- Shockwave Therapy & Chiropractic
- LLLT Laser Therapy & Chiropractic
- Rehabilitation & Chiropractic
Traditional chiropractic treatments only target the mobility of the joints. Combining chiropractic adjustments with other forms of pain treatments targets other tissues that are involved in the pain. Many ankle pain sufferers find that they get better quicker and the results last longer when they combine their chiropractors adjustments with other forms of therapy.
Conclusions On Seeing A Chiropractor For Ankle Pain
Chiropractic care focuses on diagnosing and treating conditions related to the musculoskeletal system, including the ankle. Chiropractors use various techniques to manipulate and mobilise the joints that have become stuck, which can improve the mobility and function of the ankle.
Chiropractors can help manage ankle pain by reducing inflammation, increasing mobility, improving blood flow, and releasing endorphins (natural painkillers) in the body. Chiropractors can also positively influence healing by improving circulation and stimulating the body’s natural healing processes. Chiropractic care is a non-invasive and safe alternative to drugs and surgery, which can be appealing for those seeking natural treatments for their ankle pain. It has high patient satisfaction ratings compared to other pain management methods.
In addition to chiropractic care, patients can practise good posture, manage stress, take breaks from sitting, use proper technique in sports and exercise, and apply heat or cold to the ankle to manage ankle pain. Chiropractors can and should also combine chiropractic adjustments with other therapies, such as shockwave therapy or acupuncture, to create quicker and more lasting effects.
When you hear the word ‘chiropractor’ you most probably associate it with ‘back or neck pain’. Most Individuals who have never sought chiropractic care before are often surprised to discover the extent to which a chiropractor can help with other issues that can improve their overall well-being
Appointment Request Form
If you would like to book an appointment please fill out the form below and we will be in touch.