Nagging discomfort, knots and pain in your shoulders can seriously effect your ability to work effectively and enjoy life. Severe pain in your shoulders can put your life on hold.
There are many possible causes of shoulder pain and almost as many effective solutions. For some people shoulder pain comes as a bad episode where you can’t turn your head or lift your arm without severe pain, for others it is more of a persistent or intermittent problem that won’t seem to go resolve. Shoulder pain can be triggered by injuries and degenerative diseases but also by stress and lifestyle changes.
Although shoulder pain is a big topic the good news is that for the vast majority of sufferers finding relief can be surprisingly simple once they receive the appropriate treatment and advice. Most people who come to us with shoulder pain and stiffness experience either immediate relief or relief within 48 hours.
Major themes that can lead to shoulder pain include:
- wasting of muscles deep in the back of the shoulder from poor posture or weakening due to old injuries. This is a major player in the vast majority of shoulder pain cases we see.
- old injuries like whiplash and falls that were never properly treated by a chiropractor or osteopath and never resolved properly.
- an old injury to the shoulder joint or ribs that did heal but left some tight scar tissue can cause you to suffer shoulder pain.
- excessive sitting at a desk for more than 30 hours a week can lead to shoulder pain through weakening of postural muscles and compression of the shoulder and rib bones.
- poor technique in sports and exercise activities can put unnatural strain on the spinal bones and cause neck pain (and other pains too).
- awkward lifestyle requirements. A great example would be the classic ‘resting your elbow on window frame when driving’ on a daily basis.
- diseases and arthritic changes within the skeleton and muscles around the shoulder can be the cause of neck pain in rare cases.
Whatever your pattern of shoulder pain rest assured that regardless of the specifics our chiropractors can almost always establish the underlying cause and provide significant pain relief within a matter of days.
Chiropractors, osteopaths and physiotherapists always aim to find the exact body tissues that have become painful in cases of shoulder pain.
These possibilities include:
- The upper ribs just behind shoulder bladeÂ (this is a major a rarely treated cause of shoulder pain if you have not had these treated and your shoulders have hurt for some time I suggest you call us).
- The rotator cuff tendons frequently get pinched or impinged in the human shoulder and are a major cause of pain. Our chiropractors use a combination of treatments to treat these tendons.
- The neck bones can lock and become inflamed causing pain to travel into the shoulder. Chiropractors and osteopaths can treat this in their sleep.
- The neck muscles and shoulder muscles can develop deep pressure points or be subject to minor tears that cause shoulder pain treatable by chiropractors and acupuncture (we often combine the 2 at our clinic).
- The bursa is a fluid filled sack that takes pressure off the connective tissues of the shoulder as it moves. We have a lot of success treating this as chiropractors but sometimes it just doesn’t work and you will have to go and get a cortisone injections which usually does the trick.
- The joint capsule Can cause pain and restriction leading to a frozen shoulder. These take time to resolve but our chiropractors use various treatments (like acupuncture and stretching) in combination with very special exercises to speed the process up often dramatically.
- The nerve plexus in the shoulder can cause pain and problems if it is inflamed or compressed. You really don’t want this to happen to you and the good news is it probably never will.
Contact us today to discuss your requirements.