Modern life can be tough on our bodies and cause a lot of physical stress. For some this stress manifests as hip pain. Hip pain can be caused by various factors like gait issues, sports injuries, overuse and even emotional stress. To prevent and alleviate hip pain, it’s important to take a holistic approach that addresses both the symptomatic and biomechanical aspects of the problem.
How We Approach Hip Pain As Chiropractors
Our hip pain patients typically fall into 3 main groups. People who already understand the value of a highly experienced chiropractor. People who are chiro-curious and want to find out what chiropractic can do for them. And people seeking a chiropractor who is willing to combine chiropractic with other methods to increase the likelihood of treatment success.
Hip pain is a common condition that can be caused by various factors such as stress, poor posture, old injuries, excessive sitting, and sports injuries. It can affect your quality of life and even your ability to work or participate in daily activities. However, the good news is that hip pain is treatable, and finding the right treatment can provide relief.
When treating hip pain with chiropractic we place great emphasis on the following;
- Correct and careful diagnosis
- Identifying the underlying causes of pain
We have over 200 five star Google reviews!!!
What Chiropractors Do For Hip Pain
Chiropractic care is a well-established way to manage hip pain. Chiropractors specialise in diagnosing and treating conditions related to the musculoskeletal system, including the hip. Here are some of the reasons behind why chiropractic care can help so much with hip pain:
- Influencing healing: Chiropractic care can positively influence healing by improving circulation and stimulating the body’s natural healing processes. When it comes to healing pain movement tends to be the best medicine. Chiropractors are in the business of restoring movement.
- Treating acute & chronic pain: Joints can get stuck indefinitely. Chiropractic care can treat both long-standing hip pain and pain that has occurred more recently. Joints that have been stuck for a week often respond the same but quicker to joints that have been stuck for years.
- Stretching the body’s tissues: Chiropractic care works in a similar way to stretching, as it mobilises the body’s tissues to improve mobility and function. When we stretch a muscle repeatedly it improves the muscles mobility and function. Chiropractic does this for joints
- Managing pain: Chiropractic care can help manage pain by reducing inflammation, increasing mobility, improving blood flow, and releasing endorphins (natural painkillers) in the body. Pain is the body’s way of telling us the tissues are under stress or under threat. Chiropractors seek to manage pain by removing the underlying causes of pain.
- A safe alternative to drugs and surgery: Chiropractic care is a non-invasive and safe alternative to drugs and surgery, which can be appealing for those seeking natural treatments for their hip pain. Drugs and surgery are very important for certain conditions, and for many others there are safer alternatives
What Chiropractors Don’t Do For Hip Pain
There are 2 major myths about chiropractic that persist to this very day. The first is that it is dangerous and the second is that chiropractors put bones back in place. Both of these are essentially urban myths.
The dangers of getting your hip adjusted by a chiropractor are far less than taking over the counter medications. This has been shown in large scale chiropractic safety research in Europe. Caution and care are essential to all healthcare procedures, yet chiropractic care has an enviable safety record compared to almost any other type of medical healthcare.
Chiropractors do not put bones back in place. We restore movement to vertebrae that have become struck due to injury or repetitive strain. If a bone in your spine was out of place you would be in a hospital unable to move some major body part. Chiropractors restore movement to the body rather than re-aligning it.
Chiropractors Treatment Principles
- Find the exact body tissues causing the pain: Chiropractors use various diagnostic tools and techniques to find the exact body tissues causing the pain. Treating the specific painful tissue is the key to good pain management.
- Treat stuck and inflamed vertebrae: Chiropractors can treat inflamed hip joints that are causing hip pain, but can also refer pain to the head and shoulder.
- Try to identify the reason why the painful tissues have become painful in the first place. Many subtle lifestyle factors can cause pain and a good chiropractor should have knowledge of them.
- Manage vertebral disc pain: Chiropractors can help mobilise vertebral joints that sometimes refer pain to the hip by mobilising the spine. Having spinal issues doesn’t need to be a life sentence for hip pain.
Self Care For Chiropractic Patients
In addition to chiropractic care, there are also some things you can do at home to manage your hip pain:
- Manage stress: Stress has a major part to play in many hip pain cases. So it is always worth being proactive about stress if you have stubborn hip pain.
- Use proper technique in sports and exercise: Using proper technique can help prevent back pain caused by sports and exercise. Compressing the back during heavy lifting is especially common.
- Limit awkward lifestyle requirements: If you have hip pain and you know there are certain lifestyle triggers that reliably increase your pain; it can be worth temporarily reducing exposure to them while you are getting treatment.
- Apply heat or cold: Applying heat or cold to the back can help reduce pain and inflammation. Ice is usually a far better option so best to start with that and see how your pain responds.
Combining Chiropractic Adjustments With Other Treatments
We specialise in combining typical chiropractors adjustments with other proven pain therapies. To create quicker and more lasting effects.
In the old days dentists just extracted teeth and chiropractors just ‘clicked the spine’. But time has moved on and these days ‘up to date’ chiropractors tend to combine chiropractic with other treatments.
Treatment combinations that can be used by chiropractors to manage hip pain include the following.
- Shockwave Therapy & Chiropractic
- Trigger Point Release & Chiropractic
- Rehabilitation & Chiropractic
Traditional chiropractic treatments only target the mobility of the joints. Combining chiropractic adjustments with other forms of pain treatments targets other tissues that are involved in the pain. Many hip pain sufferers find that they get better quicker and the results last longer when they combine their chiropractors adjustments with other forms of therapy.
Conclusions On Seeing A Chiropractor For Hip Pain
Chiropractic care focuses on diagnosing and treating conditions related to the musculoskeletal system, including the hip. Chiropractors use various techniques to manipulate and mobilise the joints that have become stuck, which can improve the mobility and function of the hip.
Chiropractors can help manage hip pain by reducing inflammation, increasing mobility, improving blood flow, and releasing endorphins (natural painkillers) in the body. Chiropractors can also positively influence healing by improving circulation and stimulating the body’s natural healing processes. Chiropractic care is a non-invasive and safe alternative to drugs and surgery, which can be appealing for those seeking natural treatments for their hip pain. It has high patient satisfaction ratings compared to other pain management methods.
In addition to chiropractic care, patients can practise good posture, manage stress, take breaks from sitting, use proper technique in sports and exercise, and apply heat or cold to the hip to manage hip pain. Chiropractors can and should also combine chiropractic adjustments with other therapies, such as shockwave therapy or acupuncture, to create quicker and more lasting effects.
When you hear the word ‘chiropractor’ you most probably associate it with ‘back or neck pain’. Most Individuals who have never sought chiropractic care before are often surprised to discover the extent to which a chiropractor can help with other issues that can improve their overall well-being
Appointment Request Form
If you would like to book an appointment please fill out the form below and we will be in touch.